Baden-Powell Scout Reservation
700 acres owned by the Boy Scouts six miles southeast of Melrose in Putnam County. Jointly sponsored by the Duval and Alachua chapters, it has a lake and turkey oak sandhills.
A 400-acre lake in southwest Gainesville. Established with University of Florida in 1937 and reestablished with private landowners in 1960. American Alligators are abundant. Ospreys, Bald Eagles, and wading birds feed and nest here.
38 acres in southeast Gainesville owned by Audubon of Florida since 1971. Audubon property includes part of the pond and an old field forest on fertile hammock soil. Many forest and aquatic species occur here.
200 acres on University of Florida campus established as co-op in 1962. Valuable research area. A good place for close observation of American Alligators, roosting herons and ibises, etc.
600 acres northeast of Micanopy at the headwaters of River Styx. Owned by Franklin Crates, Inc. No public access. Very valuable for the Wood Stork rookery that has nested in this cypress swamp since before the sanctuary was established in 1913.
Audubon of Florida owns 113 acres of lake bottom and most of Bird Island east of the town of Orange Lake. An important rookery for herons, egrets, and White Ibises, it was established in 1910 as the first Audubon sanctuary in the United States. It was the only rookery that was successfully defended against the plume hunters.
1300 acres in Micanopy. A feeding area for wading birds, Sandhill Cranes, and waterfowl.
Several thousand ranch areas in Alachua County have been designated Bald Eagle Sanctuaries by their owners and registered with Audubon of Florida.