In order to encourage youth activities consistent with the AAS mission, The Alachua Audubon Society is pleased to announce the availability of scholarship funds ($300) to any Alachua County high school student. The expenditure of the scholarship is not limited to academics and may be used in any fashion the student finds desirable.
The award will be based upon the following criteria:
- Keen interest in the environment, nature, and/or conservation
- Involvement in extracurricular environmental/nature activities
- Academic record
- Teacher/counselor recommendation
To be considered for a scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be a resident of Alachua County.
- Be a student at the 9th to 12th grade level.
- Be in good academic standing.
How to Apply:
Please fill in the application information as completely and accurately as possible.
The application form is available online here. By creating an account (free), you can save your progress and complete the form at a later time (optional).
Two references with letters of recommendation are required:
- one from a teacher or counselor who can confirm you academic record,
- the second from a teacher, club sponsor or volunteer supervisor who can speak to your keen interest in the environment and involvement in extracurricular, environmental, and nature activities.
Letters of recommendation should be in the form of a .pdf and attached to the application or emailed separately to scholarship@AlachuaAudubon.org
The guidelines for applying should be made public by September 1 of each school year.
The deadline to apply is March 22, 2019 for the scholarship to be awarded in April 2019.
Any application or recommendation letter submitted after this date will not be considered.
Procedure for Awarding of the Scholarship:
- The award will be decided by the AAS Scholarship Committee based on a completed application form and letters of recommendation.
- The Questionnaire answers will be scored by each Committee member to determine the winner.
- All applicants shall be notified by email April 15, 2019 as to whether they are chosen or not.
- The scholarship award will be made payable to the student.
- If the committee feels that no applicant meets our criteria and would be worthy of receiving the scholarship, none will be awarded that year and the money will be reserved for the following year.
- The decision of the committee is final.
Contact Trina Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.